Re: inet: frags: Turn fqdir->dead into an int for old Alphas

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Fri Jun 07 2019 - 12:17:27 EST

On 6/7/19 8:32 AM, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 07, 2019 at 08:26:12AM -0700, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>>
>> There is common knowledge among us programmers that bit fields
>> (or bool) sharing a common 'word' need to be protected
>> with a common lock.
>>
>> Converting all bit fields to plain int/long would be quite a waste of memory.
>>
>> In this case, fqdir_exit() is called right before the whole
>> struct fqdir is dismantled, and the only cpu that could possibly
>> change the thing is ourself, and we are going to start an RCU grace period.
>>
>> Note that first cache line in 'struct fqdir' is read-only.
>> Only ->dead field is flipped to one at exit time.
>>
>> Your patch would send a strong signal to programmers to not even try using
>> bit fields.
>>
>> Do we really want that ?
>
> If this were a bitfield then I'd think it would be safer because
> anybody adding a new bitfield is unlikely to try modifying both
> fields without locking or atomic ops.
>
> However, because this is a boolean, I can certainly see someone
> else coming along and adding another bool right next to it and
> expecting writes them to still be atomic.
>
> As it stands, my patch has zero impact on memory usage because
> it's simply using existing padding. Should this become an issue
> in future, we can always revisit this and use a more appropriate
> method of addressing it.
>
> But the point is to alert future developers that this field is
> not an ordinary boolean.

Okay, but you added a quite redundant comment.

/* We can't use boolean because this needs atomic writes. */

Should we add a similar comment in front of all bit-fields,
or could we factorize this in a proper Documentation perhaps ?

Can we just add a proper bit-field and not the comment ?

unsigned int dead:1;

This way, next programmer can just apply normal rules to add a new bit.

Thanks !