Re: [RFC] printk/sysrq: Don't play with console_loglevel

From: Sergey Senozhatsky
Date: Wed Jun 12 2019 - 04:41:24 EST

On (06/06/19 09:10), Petr Mladek wrote:

> > > I like this idea. console_loglevel is temporary manipulated only
> > > when some messages should or should never appear on the console.
> > > Storing this information in the message flags would help
> > > to solve all the related races.
> >
> > I don't really like the whole system-wide console_loglevel manipulation
> > thing,
>
> Just to be sure. I wanted to say that I like the idea with
> KERN_UNSUPRESSED. So, I think that we are on the same page.

I understand. All I wanted to say is that KERN_UNSUPRESSED is
per-message, while the most interesting (and actually broken)
cases, IMHO, are per-context, IOW things like this one

console_loglevel = NEW
foo()
dump_stack()
printk
printk
console_loglevel = OLD

KERN_UNSUPRESSED does not help here. We probably can't convert
dump_stack() to KERN_UNSUPRESSED.

[..]
> Now, KERN_EMERG might alarm some monitor of console output. It might
> trigger unwanted reaction (forced reboot?) of the monitoring system
> even when sysrq was not called in emergency situation.
>
> I am sure that we need to care about such monitors. I have to
> think more about it.

Sure.

-ss