Re: [RFC] Deadlock via recursive wakeup via RCU with threadirqs

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Thu Jun 27 2019 - 14:42:02 EST

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 02:16:38PM -0400, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> [...]
> > local_irq_disable(); /* Might be the scheduler. */
> > do_whatever();
> > rcu_read_lock();
> > do_whatever_else();
> > rcu_read_unlock(); /* Must still defer reporting QS. */
> > do_whatever_comes_to_mind();
> > local_irq_enable();
> > }
> >
> > Both instances of rcu_read_unlock() need to cause some later thing
> > to report the quiescent state, and in some cases it will do a wakeup.
> > Now, previous_reader()'s IRQ disabling cannot be due to scheduler rq/pi
> > locks due to the rule about holding them across the entire RCU reader
> > if they are held across the rcu_read_unlock(). But current_reader()'s
> > IRQ disabling might well be due to the scheduler rq/pi locks, so
> > current_reader() must be careful about doing wakeups.
>
> Makes sense now, thanks.
>
> > > That leaves us with the only scenario where the previous reader was
> > > IPI'ed while softirq/preempt was disabled across it. Is that what you
> > > meant?
> >
> > No, but that can also happen.
> >
> > > But in this scenario, the previous reader should have set
> > > exp_hint to false in the previous reader's rcu_read_unlock_special()
> > > invocation itself. So I would think t->rcu_read_unlock_special should
> > > be 0 during the new reader's invocation thus I did not understand how
> > > rcu_read_unlock_special can be called because of a previous reader.
> >
> > Yes, exp_hint would unconditionally be set to false in the first
> > reader's rcu_read_unlock(). But .blocked won't be.
>
> Makes sense.
>
> > > I'll borrow some of that confused color paint if you don't mind ;-)
> > > And we should document this somewhere for future sanity preservation
> > > :-D
> >
> > Or adjust the code and requirements to make it more sane, if feasible.
> >
> > My current (probably wildly unreliable) guess that the conditions in
> > rcu_read_unlock_special() need adjusting. I was assuming that in_irq()
> > implies a hardirq context, in other words that in_irq() would return
> > false from a threaded interrupt handler. If in_irq() instead returns
> > true from within a threaded interrupt handler, then this code in
> > rcu_read_unlock_special() needs fixing:
> >
> > if ((exp || in_irq()) && irqs_were_disabled && use_softirq &&
> > (in_irq() || !t->rcu_read_unlock_special.b.deferred_qs)) {
> > // Using softirq, safe to awaken, and we get
> > // no help from enabling irqs, unlike bh/preempt.
> > raise_softirq_irqoff(RCU_SOFTIRQ);
> >
> > The fix would be replacing the calls to in_irq() with something that
> > returns true only if called from within a hardirq context.
> > Thoughts?
>
> I am not sure if this will fix all cases though?
>
> I think the crux of the problem is doing a recursive wake up. The threaded
> IRQ probably just happens to be causing it here, it seems to me this problem
> can also occur on a non-threaded irq system (say current_reader() in your
> example executed in a scheduler path in process-context and not from an

In the non-threaded case, invoking raise_softirq*() from hardirq context
just sets a bit in a per-CPU variable. Now, to Sebastian's point, we
are only sort of in hardirq context in this case due to being called
from irq_exit(), but the failure we are seeing might well be a ways
downstream of the actual root-cause bug.

> I think the fix should be to prevent the wake-up not based on whether we are
> in hard/soft-interrupt mode but that we are doing the rcu_read_unlock() from
> a scheduler path (if we can detect that)

Or just don't do the wakeup at all, if it comes to that. I don't know
of any way to determine whether rcu_read_unlock() is being called from
the scheduler, but it has been some time since I asked Peter Zijlstra
about that.

Of course, unconditionally refusing to do the wakeup might not be happy
thing for NO_HZ_FULL kernels that don't implement IRQ work.

> I lost track of this code:
> if ((exp || in_irq()) && irqs_were_disabled && use_softirq &&
> (in_irq() || !t->rcu_read_unlock_special.b.deferred_qs)) {
>
> Was this patch posted to the list? I will blame it to try to get some
> context. It sounds like you added more conditions on when to kick the
> softirq.

This is from the dev branch of my -rcu tree. It has at least one
patch in this area that is currently slated for v5.4, so I would not
have sent that as part of an official patch series.

> > Ugh. Same question about IRQ work. Will the current use of it by
> > rcu_read_unlock_special() cause breakage in the presence of threaded
> > interrupt handlers?
>
> /me needs to understand why the irq work stuff was added here as well. Have
> my work cut out for the day! ;-)

New code, so more likely to contain bugs than usual. ;-)

The point was to get a wakeup soonish without risk of rq/pi deadlocks.

Thanx, Paul