Re: [RFC] Deadlock via recursive wakeup via RCU with threadirqs

From: Joel Fernandes
Date: Fri Jun 28 2019 - 19:12:46 EST

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 03:25:47PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 05:40:18PM -0400, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 01:04:23PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > [snip]

> > > The deferred_qs flag is part of it! Looking forward to hearing what
> > > you come up with as being the critical piece of this commit.
> >
> > The new deferred_qs flag indeed saves the machine from the dead-lock.
> >
> > If we don't want the deferred_qs, then the below patch also fixes the issue.
> > However, I am more sure than not that it does not handle all cases (such as
> > what if we previously had an expedited grace period IPI in a previous reader
> > section and had to to defer processing. Then it seems a similar deadlock
> > would present. But anyway, the below patch does fix it for me! It is based on
> > your -rcu tree commit 23634ebc1d946f19eb112d4455c1d84948875e31 (rcu: Check
> > for wakeup-safe conditions in rcu_read_unlock_special()).
>
> The point here being that you rely on .b.blocked rather than
> .b.deferred_qs. Hmmm... There are a number of places that check all
> the bits via the .s leg of the rcu_special union. The .s check in
> rcu_preempt_need_deferred_qs() should be OK because it is conditioned
> on t->rcu_read_lock_nesting of zero or negative.
> Do rest of those also work out OK?
>
> It would be nice to remove the flag, but doing so clearly needs careful
> review and testing.

Agreed. I am planning to do an audit of this code within the next couple of
weeks so I will be on the look out for any optimization opportunities related
to this. Will let you know if this can work. For now I like your patch better
because it is more conservative and doesn't cause any space overhead.

If you'd like, please free to included my Tested-by on it:

Tested-by: Joel Fernandes (Google) <joel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

If you had a chance, could you also point to me any tests that show
performance improvement with the irqwork patch, on the expedited GP usecase?
I'd like to try it out as well. I guess rcuperf should have some?

thanks!

- Joel