Re: [Question] Should direct reclaim time be bounded?

From: Mike Kravetz
Date: Mon Jul 01 2019 - 23:16:18 EST

On 7/1/19 1:59 AM, Mel Gorman wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 11:20:42AM -0700, Mike Kravetz wrote:

>>> I'd suspect this in should_continue_reclaim():
>>>
>>> /* Consider stopping depending on scan and reclaim activity */
>>> if (sc->gfp_mask & __GFP_RETRY_MAYFAIL) {
>>> /*
>>> * For __GFP_RETRY_MAYFAIL allocations, stop reclaiming if the
>>> * full LRU list has been scanned and we are still failing
>>> * to reclaim pages. This full LRU scan is potentially
>>> * expensive but a __GFP_RETRY_MAYFAIL caller really wants to succeed
>>> */
>>> if (!nr_reclaimed && !nr_scanned)
>>> return false;
>>>
>>> And that for some reason, nr_scanned never becomes zero. But it's hard
>>> to figure out through all the layers of functions :/
>>
>> I got back to looking into the direct reclaim/compaction stalls when
>> trying to allocate huge pages. As previously mentioned, the code is
>> looping for a long time in shrink_node(). The routine
>> should_continue_reclaim() returns true perhaps more often than it should.
>>
>> As Vlastmil guessed, my debug code output below shows nr_scanned is remaining
>> non-zero for quite a while. This was on v5.2-rc6.
>>

> I think it would be reasonable to have should_continue_reclaim allow an
> exit if scanning at higher priority than DEF_PRIORITY - 2, nr_scanned is
> less than SWAP_CLUSTER_MAX and no pages are being reclaimed.

Thanks Mel,

I added such a check to should_continue_reclaim. However, it does not
address the issue I am seeing. In that do-while loop in shrink_node,
the scan priority is not raised (priority--). We can enter the loop
with priority == DEF_PRIORITY and continue to loop for minutes as seen
in my previous debug output.

--
Mike Kravetz