Re: mgag200 fails kdump kernel booting

From: Baoquan He
Date: Tue Jul 02 2019 - 01:34:53 EST

On 07/02/19 at 11:17am, Dave Young wrote:
> On 07/02/19 at 09:41am, Baoquan He wrote:

> > > Just to clarify, the original kernel is booted with mgag200 turned
> > > off, then kexec works, but if the original kernel loads mgag200, the
> > > kexec kernels resets hard when the VGA is used to write stuff out.
> >
> > Thanks for looking into this, Dave.
> >
> > Yeah, in fact the issue was found in kdump kernel. I haven't checked the
> > kexec jumping. Kexec jumping will call device_shutdown() to attempt to
> > shutdown all devices before jumping to the 2nd kernel. But kdump jumping
> > won't.
> >

> > > This *might* be fixable in the controlled kexec case, but having an
> > > mgag200 shutdown path that tries to put the gpu back into a state
> > > where VGA doesn't die, but for the uncontrolled kexec it'll still be a
> > > problem, since once the gpu is up and running and VGA is disabled, it
> > > doesn't expect to see anymore VGA transactions.
> >
> > Yes, I see. It should have been shutdown by device_shutdown() in kexec
> > case. The uncontrolled case, I guess you mean the kdump case. In
> > kdump case, we don't call device_shutdown() before jumping because the
> > 1st kernel has been in crashed state, we just want to switch to kdump
> > kernel asap. So wondering how other GPU/VGA device/driver bebahve,
> > currently haven't got report about them. Probably mgag200 is very new,
> > or we may not meet them. This issue was met on a new bought server.
>
> I assumed the vga writing only take effect when earlyprintk is provided.
> eg. earlyprintk=ttyS0, then x86 early decompress code will write to both
> vga and ttyS0. So if one does not use earlyprintk, he/she still get
> nothing. But if one provides earlyprintk, then he/she should provide a
> correct param he want, instead of blindly assume kernel will write to
> vga even if he use ttyS0.

No, the vga printing takes effect always, otherwise those warn() and
error() won't work. It takes effect no matter if CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK
is enabled, and if any earlyprintk= specified.

That's why I prefer to pursuit fix in driver side. It's making the
error/warn print out even though nothing specific needed, that's make
sense to me.