Re: [patch V2 04/25] x86/apic: Make apic_pending_intr_clear() more robust

From: Nadav Amit
Date: Fri Jul 05 2019 - 15:19:08 EST

> On Jul 5, 2019, at 8:47 AM, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 04/07/2019 16:51, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>> 2) The loop termination logic is interesting at best.
>>
>> If the machine has no TSC or cpu_khz is not known yet it tries 1
>> million times to ack stale IRR/ISR bits. What?
>>
>> With TSC it uses the TSC to calculate the loop termination. It takes a
>> timestamp at entry and terminates the loop when:
>>
>> (rdtsc() - start_timestamp) >= (cpu_hkz << 10)
>>
>> That's roughly one second.
>>
>> Both methods are problematic. The APIC has 256 vectors, which means
>> that in theory max. 256 IRR/ISR bits can be set. In practice this is
>> impossible as the first 32 vectors are reserved and not affected and
>> the chance that more than a few bits are set is close to zero.
>
> [Disclaimer. I talked to Thomas in private first, and he asked me to
> post this publicly as the CVE is almost a decade old already.]
>
> I'm afraid that this isn't quite true.
>
> In terms of IDT vectors, the first 32 are reserved for exceptions, but
> only the first 16 are reserved in the LAPIC. Vectors 16-31 are fair
> game for incoming IPIs (SDM Vol3, 10.5.2 Valid Interrupt Vectors).
>
> In practice, this makes Linux vulnerable to CVE-2011-1898 / XSA-3, which
> I'm disappointed to see wasn't shared with other software vendors at the
> time.

IIRC (and from skimming the CVE again) the basic problem in Xen was that
MSIs can be used when devices are assigned to generate IRQs with arbitrary
vectors. The mitigation was to require interrupt remapping to be enabled in
the IOMMU when IOMMU is used for DMA remapping (i.e., device assignment).

Are you concerned about this case, additional concrete ones, or is it about
security hardening? (or am I missing something?)