Re: linux-next: manual merge of the tip tree with the hwmon-staging tree

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Mon Jul 08 2019 - 21:21:52 EST

On 7/8/19 5:17 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
Hi all,

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 17:15:24 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Today's linux-next merge of the tip tree got a conflict in:

drivers/hwmon/coretemp.c

between commit:

601fdf7e6635 ("hwmon: Correct struct allocation style")

from the hwmon-staging tree and commit:

835896a59b95 ("hwmon/coretemp: Cosmetic: Rename internal variables to zones from packages")

from the tip tree.

I fixed it up (the comment fixed in the latter was also fixed in the
former) and can carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as
linux-next is concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned
to your upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging.
You may also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the
conflicting tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.

I am still getting this conflict (the commit ids may have changed).
Just a reminder in case you think Linus may need to know.

Thanks a lot for the reminder.

I had a quick look into the actual conflicts. I thought they are trivial,
but that is not the case. I'll drop commit 601fdf7e6635 from my queue.
In the future, to reduce the chance of similar problems, I won't accept
cosmetic changes to the coretemp driver anymore since I only have limited
if any control over it.

Guenter