Re: [RFC v2] vhost: introduce mdev based hardware vhost backend

From: Tiwei Bie
Date: Tue Jul 09 2019 - 02:34:57 EST

On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 10:50:38AM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
> On 2019/7/8 äå2:16, Tiwei Bie wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 05, 2019 at 08:49:46AM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:

> > > VFIO really can't prevent vendor specific ioctls on the device file
> > > descriptor for mdevs, but a) we'd want to be sure the ioctl address
> > > space can't collide with ioctls we'd use for vfio defined purposes and
> > > b) maybe the VFIO user API isn't what you want in the first place if
> > > you intend to mostly/entirely ignore the defined ioctl set and replace
> > > them with your own. In the case of the latter, you're also not getting
> > > the advantages of the existing VFIO userspace code, so why expose a
> > > VFIO device at all.
> > Yeah, I totally agree.
>

> I guess the original idea is to reuse the VFIO DMA/IOMMU API for this. Then
> we have the chance to reuse vfio codes in qemu for dealing with e.g vIOMMU.

Yeah, you are right. We have several choices here:

#1. We expose a VFIO device, so we can reuse the VFIO container/group
based DMA API and potentially reuse a lot of VFIO code in QEMU.

But in this case, we have two choices for the VFIO device interface
(i.e. the interface on top of VFIO device fd):

A) we may invent a new vhost protocol (as demonstrated by the code
in this RFC) on VFIO device fd to make it work in VFIO's way,
i.e. regions and irqs.

B) Or as you proposed, instead of inventing a new vhost protocol,
we can reuse most existing vhost ioctls on the VFIO device fd
directly. There should be no conflicts between the VFIO ioctls
(type is 0x3B) and VHOST ioctls (type is 0xAF) currently.

#2. Instead of exposing a VFIO device, we may expose a VHOST device.
And we will introduce a new mdev driver vhost-mdev to do this.
It would be natural to reuse the existing kernel vhost interface
(ioctls) on it as much as possible. But we will need to invent
some APIs for DMA programming (reusing VHOST_SET_MEM_TABLE is a
choice, but it's too heavy and doesn't support vIOMMU by itself).

I'm not sure which one is the best choice we all want..
Which one (#1/A, #1/B, or #2) would you prefer?

> > > The mdev interface does provide a general interface for creating and
> > > managing virtual devices, vfio-mdev is just one driver on the mdev
> > > bus. Parav (Mellanox) has been doing work on mdev-core to help clean
> > > out vfio-isms from the interface, aiui, with the intent of implementing
> > > another mdev bus driver for using the devices within the kernel.
> > Great to know this! I found below series after some searching:
> >
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/3/8/821
> >
> > In above series, the new mlx5_core mdev driver will do the probe
> > by calling mlx5_get_core_dev() first on the parent device of the
> > mdev device. In vhost_mdev, maybe we can also keep track of all
> > the compatible mdev devices and use this info to do the probe.
>

> I don't get why this is needed. My understanding is if we want to go this
> way, there're actually two parts. 1) Vhost mdev that implements the device
> managements and vhost ioctl. 2) Vhost it self, which can accept mdev fd as
> it backend through VHOST_NET_SET_BACKEND.

I think with vhost-mdev (or with vfio-mdev if we agree to do vhost
ioctls on vfio device fd directly), we don't need to open /dev/vhost-net
(and there is no VHOST_NET_SET_BACKEND needed) at all. Either way,
after getting the fd of the mdev, we just need to do vhost ioctls
on it directly.