Re: screen freeze with 5.2-rc6 Dell XPS-13 skylake i915

From: Paul Bolle
Date: Wed Jul 10 2019 - 12:45:21 EST

James Bottomley schreef op wo 10-07-2019 om 09:32 [-0700]:
> You seem to be getting it to happen much more often than I can. Last
> night, on the below pull request it took me a good hour to see the
> freeze.

Yes. Sometimes within a minute of resuming. Typing stuff into evolution seems
to help with triggering this. It's all a bit mysterious, but this message
alone frooze my laptop a few times. Seriously!

> Sure, my current testing indicates it's somewhere inside this pull
> request:
>
> Merge: 89c3b37af87e eb85d03e01c3
> Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed May 8 21:35:19 2019 -0700
>
> Merge tag 'drm-next-2019-05-09' of git://anongit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm
>
> Pull drm updates from Dave Airlie:

Lazy question: how does one determine the first and last commit inside a merge
request? Can I simply do
good a2d635decbfa9c1e4ae15cb05b68b2559f7f827c^
bad a2d635decbfa9c1e4ae15cb05b68b2559f7f827c

for git bisect?

> So I was about to test out the i915 changes in that but since my laptop
> is what I use for daily work, it's a bit hard (can't freeze up on video
> calls for instance).

I usually use one of the ThinkPads from my embarrassing pile of outdated
hardware to do nasty bisects, but I'm not about to loose any income if my much
appreciated XPS 13 is out of order for a while.

Thanks,

Paul Bolle