Re: drm pull for v5.3-rc1

From: Steven Price
Date: Wed Aug 07 2019 - 11:32:57 EST

On 07/08/2019 15:56, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 03:30:38PM +0100, Steven Price wrote:

>>> We could have bits in the mm_walk_state which indicate what things to return
>>> and what things to skip. We could (and probably should) also use different
>>> iterator names if people actually want to iterate different things. eg
>>> for_each_pte_range(&state, pte) as well as for_each_page_range().
>>>

>> The iterator approach could be awkward for the likes of my generic
>> ptdump implementation[1]. It would require an iterator which returns all
>> levels and allows skipping levels when required (to prevent KASAN
>> slowing things down too much). So something like:
>>
>> start_walk_range(&state);
>> for_each_page_range(&state, page) {
>> switch(page->level) {
>> case PTE:
>> case PMD:
>> if (...)
>> skip_pmd(&state);
>> case HOLE:
>> }
>> }
>> end_walk_range(&state);
>>
>> It seems a little fragile - e.g. we wouldn't (easily) get type checking
>> that you are actually treating a PTE as a pte_t. The state mutators like
>> skip_pmd() also seem a bit clumsy.
>
> Once you're on-board with using a state structure, you can use it in all
> kinds of fun ways. For example:
>
> struct mm_walk_state {
> struct mm_struct *mm;
> unsigned long start;
> unsigned long end;
> unsigned long curr;
> p4d_t p4d;
> pud_t pud;
> pmd_t pmd;
> pte_t pte;
> enum page_entry_size size;
> int flags;
> };
>
> For this user, I'd expect something like ...
>
> DECLARE_MM_WALK_FLAGS(state, mm, start, end,
> MM_WALK_HOLES | MM_WALK_ALL_SIZES);
>
> walk_each_pte(state) {
> switch (state->size) {
> case PE_SIZE_PTE:
> case PE_SIZE_PMD:
> if (...(state->pmd))
> continue;

You need to be able to signal whether you want to descend into the PMD
or skip the entire part of the tree. This was my skip_pmd() function above.

> }
> }
>
> There's no need to have start / end walk function calls.

You've got a start walk function (it's your DECLARE_MM_WALK_FLAGS
above). The end walk I agree I think you don't actually need it since
struct mm_walk_state contains all the state.

Steve