Re: Kernel 5.3.x, 5.2.2+: VMware player suspend on 64/32 bit guests

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Mon Aug 12 2019 - 13:24:46 EST

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

Woody,

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019, Woody Suwalski wrote:

> I have added a timeout counter in __synchronize_hardirq().
> At the bottom I have converted while(inprogress); to while(inprogress
> && timeout++ < 100);
>
> That is bypassing the suspend lockup problem. On both 32-bit and
> 64-bit VMs the countdown is triggered by sync of irq9.

So ACPI triggered an interrupt, which got already forwarded to a CPU, but
it is not handled. That's more than strange.

> Which probably means that there is some issue in ACPI handler and
> synchronize_hardirq() is stuck on it?

The ACPI handler is not the culprit. This is either an emulation bug or
something really strange. Can you please use a WARN_ON() if the loop is
exited via the timeout so we can see in which context this happens?

Thanks,

tglx