Re: [GIT PULL] xfs: fixes for 5.3-rc5

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Aug 15 2019 - 15:38:55 EST

Pulled. Just a quick note:

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 10:13 AM Darrick J. Wong <djwong@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> - Convert more directory corruption debugging asserts to actual
> EFSCORRUPTED returns instead of blowing up later on.

The proper error code looks like an obvious improvement, but I do
wonder if there should be some (ratelimited) system logging too?

I've seen a lot of programs that don't report errors very clearly and
might just silently stop running and as a sysadmin I'd think I'd
rather have something in the system logs than users saying "my app
crashes at startup"/

Maybe the logging ends up being there already - just done later. It
wasn't obvious from the patch, and I didn't check the whole callchain
(only direct callers).

Linus