Re: next-20190826 - objtool fails to build.

From: Josh Poimboeuf
Date: Wed Aug 28 2019 - 11:10:09 EST

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 12:15:15AM -0400, Valdis KlÄtnieks wrote:
> OK. I'm mystified. next-20190806 built fine. -0818 and -0826 died a
> glorious death indeed. All 3 were build using the same Fedora Rawhide 9.1.1
> compiler (installed on July 30). 'git log -- tools/objtool' comes up empty.
>
> Local hack-around was to remove the -Werror from tools/objtool/Makefile
>
> Am particularly mystified by the errors on lines 808/809 - the same compiler that
> was happy with the same code in next-0806 is now upset. The others could possibly
> be a stray typedef in an include someplace, but those two errors have me stumped.
>
> For that matter, I'm not even seeing how -Wsign-compare was even getting set, given
> a command 'make' and not W=1 or W=2....
>
> (cue twilight zone theme)

Weird. I don't have access to Rawhide at the moment so I can't
recreate. It builds fine for me on Fedora 29.

But I don't see how those warnings could get enabled: -Wsign-compare
-Wunused-parameter.

Can you "make clean" and do "make V=1 tools/objtool" to show the actual
flags?

The reported warnings do seem reasonable though, maybe we should fix
them regardless and explicitly enable the warnings.

--
Josh