Re: Latest kernel version no NOT reflecting on kernel.org

From: Bhaskar Chowdhury
Date: Wed Aug 28 2019 - 18:53:12 EST

On 15:39 Wed 28 Aug 2019, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 07:05:47PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> I think there's a way to see which cdn mirror you are hitting when
> you
> ask for "www.kernel.org". Konstantin, any hints as to see if maybe one
> of the mirrors is out of sync?

Looks like the Singapore mirror was feeling out-of-sorts. It'll start
feeling better shortly.

Great, thanks for looking into this!

BTW, the easiest way to figure out which frontend you're hitting is to
look at the output of "host www.kernel.org", e.g.:

$ host www.kernel.org
www.kernel.org is an alias for git.kernel.org.
git.kernel.org is an alias for ord.git.kernel.org.
ord.git.kernel.org has address 147.75.58.133
ord.git.kernel.org has IPv6 address 2604:1380:4020:600::1

The three-letter airport code should indicate where the frontend is
located (in my case, ORD = Chicago). There are total of 6:

sea.git.kernel.org - Seattle
lax.git.kernel.org - Los Angeles
ord.git.kernel.org - Chicago
fra.git.kernel.org - Frankfurt
sin.git.kernel.org - Singapore
syd.git.kernel.org - Sydney

Geodns magic should send you to the nearest one, and if the monitoring
recognizes that one of them is down, it will be automatically removed
from the pool until it recovers.

Best,
-K

Hmmm...thanks a bunch!