Re: revert: ASoC: Fail card instantiation if DAI format setup fails

From: Mark Brown
Date: Mon Sep 09 2019 - 05:35:38 EST

On Fri, Sep 06, 2019 at 02:38:24PM -0400, Sasha Levin wrote:

> However, I'd like to say that I don't agree with it. I understand your
> reasoning about keeping the stable trees conservative, but I feel that
> going to the extreme with it will just encourage folks to not upgrade
> between major versions.

This is a case where the change can't possibly make anything work
in itself, it can only break things and help with debugging. If
people are sitting on stable hopefully they're not still
debugging their systems. I don't understand why you are pushing
so hard for this, there is very little upside on stable.

> I'd like to think that upgrading major versions should be the same as
> upgrading minor ones (because numbers don't matter here). If that's not
> the case, let's fix it!

Backporting this won't help achieve that aim.