Re: [RFC,v2 2/6] i2c: add I2C Address Translator (ATR) support

From: Luca Ceresoli
Date: Mon Sep 09 2019 - 13:49:04 EST

Hi Vladimir,

On 09/09/19 16:10, Vladimir Zapolskiy wrote:
> Hi Wolfram,
>
> On 09/09/2019 10:22 AM, Wolfram Sang wrote:
>> Hi Vladimir,
>>
>>> I won't attend the LPC, however I would appreciate if you book some
>>
>> A pity. I would have liked to have you in the room. Let's see if we can
>> get enough input from you via mail here.
>>

> if it might help, I'll attend the Embedded Recipes and ELCE conferences
> this year.
>
>>> time to review my original / alternative implementation of the TI
>>> DS90Ux9xx I2C bridge device driver.
>>
>> We have only 45 minutes, this will not allow to review specific
>> implementations. I want to give an overview of existing implementations
>> with pros/cons...
>>

> Sure! Any shared summary/opinions are greatly welcome.
>
>>> The reasons why my driver is better/more flexible/more functional are
>>> discussed earlier, please let me know, if you expect anything else
>>> from me to add, also I would be happy to get a summary of your offline
>>> discussion.
>>
>> ... and I'd appreciate support here from you, like your summary of the
>> back then discussion (from where I can dive deeper if needed).
>>
>> Also, with Luca's new series we discussed some scenarios which can
>> happen WRT to I2C address conflicts. Maybe you could comment on them,
>> too?
>
> I do remember I've commented on the Luca's suggestion of using dynamic
> I2C addresses from a pool (the introduced "i2c-alias-pool" property).
>
> I have to scrutinize it in Luca's v2, but then it might happen that the
> userspace won't know to which IC on the remote side it communicates to.

I think you suspect this because the assigned alias is
non-deterministic, so you might end up in writing to the wrong alias.
Well, this is not possible because the user is not supposed to know the
alias at all. Let's say you have two identical eeproms on remote port 0,
with physical addresses 0x50 and 0x51. Then, with my RFCv2 code, you'll
access them with physical numbers, not the alias:

# i2cdetect -l
i2c-0 i2c amba:camera-i2c@0 I2C adapter
i2c-4 i2c i2c-0-atr-0 I2C adapter
i2c-5 i2c i2c-0-atr-1 I2C adapter
# hexdump /sys/bus/i2c/devices/4-0050/eeprom
0000000 ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
*
0000100
# hexdump /sys/bus/i2c/devices/4-0051/eeprom
0000000 0001 0203 0405 0607 0809 0a0b 0c0d 0e0f
*
0000100
#

Here i2c-0 is the "local" bus, i2c-4 and i2c-5 are the remote busses on
ports 0 and 1. As you can see the eeproms are accessed using a name like
"4-0050", meaning physical slave address 0x50 on bus 4. No alias is needed.

Should you want to know the alias, perhaps for debugging (it's the
address you'll see on your logic analyzer), they are shown in the kernel
log.

Does this reply to your concern?

--
Luca