Re: Time stamp value in printk records

From: Sergey Senozhatsky
Date: Mon Sep 30 2019 - 11:08:56 EST

Hi,

On (09/30/19 06:33), Sodagudi Prasad wrote:
> From Qualcomm side, we would like to check with upstream team about adding
> Raw time stamp value to printk records. On Qualcomm soc, there are various
> DSPs subsystems are there - for example audio, video and modem DSPs.
> Adding raw timer value(along with sched_clock()) in the printk record helps
> in the following use cases â
> 1) To find out which subsystem crashed first - Whether application
> processor crashed first or DSP subsystem?
> 2) If there are any system stability issues on the DSP side, what is the
> activity on the APPS processor side during that time?
>
> Initially during the device boot up, printk shed_clock value can be matched
> with timer raw value used on the dsp subsystem, but after APPS processor
> suspends several times, we donât have way to correlate the time stamp value
> on the DSP and APPS processor. All timers(both apps processor timer and dsp
> timers) are derived from globally always on timer on Qualcomm soc, So
> keeping global timer raw values in printk records and dsp logs help to
> correlate the activity of all the processors in SoC.

Off the top of my head - timestamps are really hard.

Not only because, as of now, we serialize printk() internally. But also
because a lot of things can happen on any CPU between the moment when event
occurs - printk() - and the moment when we read clocks. NMI, IRQ, preemption.

Consider the following case

CPU0 CPU1 CPU2 CPU3
printk() printk() printk() printk()
<<preemption>> <<irq>>