Re: [RFC] Memory Tiering

From: David Hildenbrand
Date: Thu Oct 17 2019 - 13:34:51 EST

On 17.10.19 19:07, Verma, Vishal L wrote:

On Thu, 2019-10-17 at 07:17 -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
On 10/17/19 1:07 AM, David Hildenbrand wrote:
Very interesting topic. I heard similar demand from HPC folks
(especially involving other memory types ("tiers")). There, I think
you often want to let the application manage that. But of course, for
many applications an automatic management might already be
beneficial.

Am I correct that you are using PMEM in this area along with
ZONE_DEVICE and not by giving PMEM to the buddy (add_memory())?

The PMEM starts out as ZONE_DEVICE, but we unbind it from its original
driver and bind it to this stub of a "driver": drivers/dax/kmem.c which
uses add_memory() on it.

There's some nice tooling inside the daxctl component of ndctl to do all
the sysfs magic to make this happen.

Here is more info about the daxctl command in question:

https://pmem.io/ndctl/daxctl-reconfigure-device.html

Thanks, yeah I saw the patches back then (I though they were by Pavel but they were actually by you :) ) to add the memory to the buddy (via add_memory()).

Will explore some more, thanks!

--

Thanks,

David / dhildenb