Re: Kernel panic while doing vfio-pci hot-plug/unplug test

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Thu Oct 24 2019 - 04:07:30 EST

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> Some problems I see:
>
> 1. Commit df65c1bcd9b7b639177a5a15da1b8dc3bee4f5fa (tglx) says:
>
> x86/PCI: Select CONFIG_PCI_LOCKLESS_CONFIG
>
> All x86 PCI configuration space accessors have either their own
> serialization or can operate completely lockless (ECAM).
>
> Disable the global lock in the generic PCI configuration space accessors.
>
> The concept behind this patch is broken. We still need to lock out
> config space accesses when devices are undergoing D-state transitions.
> I would suggest that for the contention case that tglx is concerned about,
> we should have a pci_bus_read_config_unlocked_##size set of functions
> which can be used for devices we know never go into D states.

I don't think that it's broken. A D-state transition has to make sure that
the rest of stuff which might be touching the config space is
quiescent. pci_lock cannot provide that protection

> 2. Commit a2e27787f893621c5a6b865acf6b7766f8671328 (jan kiszka)
> exports pci_lock. I think this is a mistake; at best there should be
> accessors for the pci_lock. But I don't understand why it needs to
> exclude PCI config space changes throughout pci_check_and_set_intx_mask().
> Why can it not do:
>
> - bus->ops->read(bus, dev->devfn, PCI_COMMAND, 4, &cmd_status_dword);
> + pci_read_config_dword(dev, PCI_COMMAND, &cmd_status_dword);

Hmm. Need to look closer on that.

> 3. I don't understand why 511dd98ce8cf6dc4f8f2cb32a8af31ce9f4ba4a1
> changed pci_lock to be a raw spinlock. The patch description
> essentially says "We need it for RT" which isn't terribly helpful.

Yes, I could slap myself for writing such a useless changelog. The reason
why it is a raw spinlock is that config space access happens from very low
level contexts, which require to have interrupts disabled even on RT,
e.g. from the guts of the interrupt code.

> 4. Finally, getting back to the original problem report here, I wouldn't
> write this code this way today. There's no reason not to use the
> regular add_wait_queue etc. BUT! Why are we using this custom locking
> mechanism? It pretty much screams to me of an rwsem (reads/writes
> of config space take it for read; changes to config space accesses
> (disabling and changing of accessor methods) take it for write.

You cannot use a RWSEM as low level interrupt code needs to access the
config space with interrupts disabled and raw spinlocks held, e.g. to
fiddle with the interrupt and MSI stuff.

Thanks,

tglx