Re: GNU/Linux Activation Technologies - You joke, but it's a reality now. GrSecurity is doing JUST THAT.

From: nipponmail
Date: Sat Nov 09 2019 - 19:38:54 EST

You joke, but GrSecurity is selling licenses for it's kernel patch for $10,000, and does per-seat licensing. It prevents redistribution of it's derivative work via an "access agreement" where-in the licensee promises not to redistribute the derivative work, or else suffer a forfeiture of his remaining balance, as well as suffer a penalty of recieving no furthur versions (which he allready paid for).

So: yes: it is allready happening.
It's not a joke anymore.

Yet you here see this as "insane talk" and "yea they can do that, let's patch the /next version/ of the GPL to prevent it!"

No: they /cannot/ do that. Section 6 forbids additional restrictive terms, they have added an addional restrictive term (licensee shall no redistribute except to customers if required), and are enforcing said restrictive term with a negative covenant.

PLEASE Read: perens.com/2017/06/28/warning-grsecurity-potential-contributory-infringement-risk-for-customers/

And Page 10 on of this brief: perens.com/static/OSS_Spenger_v_Perens/0_2018cv15189/docs1/pdf/18.pdf
(which does discuss the copyright matter, even though the case is on another)