Re: KCSAN: data-race in __alloc_file / __alloc_file

From: Alan Stern
Date: Tue Nov 12 2019 - 15:29:43 EST

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 11:14 AM Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > One could be the thing you brought up earlier: Suppose the compiler
> > decides to use the "write only if changed" transformation, so that the
> > code generated for the sticky write:
> >
> > x = 1;
> >
> > ends up being what you would expect to see for:
> >
> > if (x != 1)
> > x = 1;
>
> That is exactly the kind of crap that would make me go "use the flag
> to disable that invalid optimization, or don't use the compiler".
>
> We already do -param=allow-store-data-races=0
>
> The C standards body sadly has a very bad track record on this kind of
> thing, where they have allowed absolutely insane extensions of "that's
> undefined" in the name of making C a much worse language (they say "to
> compete with Fortran", but it's the same thing).
>
> I have talked to some people who have tried to change that course, but
> they are fed up with the standards body too, and it's fighting
> windmills.
>
> Which is why I don't even bother. The C standard language-lawyering
> is simply not interesting to me. Yes, there are too many people who do
> it, and I don't care.
>
> For the kernel, we basically do not accept "that's undefined behavior,
> I might generate odd code".
>
> If the compiler can statitcally give an error for it, then that's one
> thing, and we'd be ok with that. But the kind of mindset where people
> think it's ok to have the compiler read the standard cross-eyed and
> change the obvious meaning of the code "because it's undefined
> behavior" is to me a sign of a cn incompetent compiler writer, and I
> am not at all interested in playing that game.
>
> Seriously.
>
> I wish somebody on the C standard had the back-bone to say "undefined
> behavior is not acceptable", and just say that the proper
> optimizations are ones where you transform the code the obvious
> straightforward way, and then you only do optimizations that are based
> on that code and you can prove do not change semantics.
>
> You can't add reads that weren't there.
>
> But you can look at code that did a read, and then wrote back what you
> can prove is the same value, and say "that write is redundant, just
> looking at the code".
>
> See the difference?
>
> One approach makes up shit. The other approach looks at the code AS
> WRITTEN and can prove "that's stupid, I can do it better, and I can
> show why it makes no difference".
>
> So you can change "i++; i++;" to "i +=2", even if "i" is not a private
> variable. Did that remove a write? Yes it did. But it really falls
> under the "I just improved on the code".
>
> But you can *not* do the insane things that type-based aliasing do
> (lack the "prove it's the same" part).
>
> Because when we notice that in the kernel, we turn it off. It's why we have
>
> -fno-strict-overflow
> -fno-merge-all-constants
> [...]

Linus, calm down and read what I actually wrote. That optimization was
a straw man.

I'm trying to solve a real problem: How to tell KCSAN and the compiler
that we don't care about certain access patterns which result in
hardware-level races, and how to guarantee that the object code will
still work correctly when those races occur. Not telling the compiler
anything is a head-in-the-sand approach that will be dangerous in the
long run.

We could annotate all those accesses with READ_ONCE/WRITE_ONCE. You
don't like this approach, mainly because gcc produces lousy object code
for volatile accesses.

My question was whether gcc does a better job with C11 relaxed atomic
accesses. If it does we could define READ_RELAXED/WRITE_RELAXED
analogously to READ_ONCE/WRITE_ONCE, and do the annotations that way.
The resulting object code certainly ought to be robust against races,
but I don't know what the quality would be like.

On the other hand, if the compiler generates lousy code even for C11
relaxed atomic accesses, you've got a good case to go complain to the
GCC maintainers about. They can't say they don't want to support such
things, because it's in the spec.

Alan Stern