Re: single aio thread is migrated crazily by scheduler

From: Phil Auld
Date: Thu Nov 21 2019 - 09:12:27 EST

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 12:12:18PM +0800 Ming Lei wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 05:03:13PM -0500, Phil Auld wrote:
> > Hi Peter,

> > > I'm thinking the problem is that it doesn't wait. If it went and waited
> > > for it, active balance wouldn't be needed, that only works on active
> > > tasks.
> >
> > Since this is AIO I wonder if it should queue_work on a nearby cpu by
> > default instead of unbound.
>
> When the current CPU isn't busy enough, there is still cost for completing
> request remotely.
>
> Or could we change queue_work() in the following way?
>
> * We try to queue the work to the CPU on which it was submitted, but if the
> * CPU dies or is saturated enough it can be processed by another CPU.
>
> Can we decide in a simple or efficient way if the current CPU is saturated
> enough?

The scheduler doesn't know if the queued_work submitter is going to go to sleep.
That's why I was singling out AIO. My understanding of it is that you submit the IO
and then keep going. So in that case it might be better to pick a node-local nearby
cpu instead. But this is a user of work queue issue not a scheduler issue.

Interestingly in our fio case the 4k one does not sleep and we get the active balance
case where it moves the actually running thread. The 512 byte case seems to be
sleeping since the migrations are all at wakeup time I believe.

Cheers,
Phil