Re: [RFC v1 00/19] Modify zonelist to nodelist v1

From: Pengfei Li
Date: Fri Nov 22 2019 - 12:36:36 EST

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 15:53:57 +0000 (UTC)
Christopher Lameter <cl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Nov 2019, Pengfei Li wrote:
>
> > I am sorry that I did not make it clear. I want to express this
> > series of patches will benefit NUMA systems with multiple nodes.
>
> Ok but that benefit needs to be quantified somehow.

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, I will add detailed performance test data in v2.

> > The main benefit is that it will be more efficient when traversing
> > all nodes (for example when performing page reclamation).
>
> And you loose the prioritization of allocations through these
> different zones.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the information about the zones that
are available to the node is still there.

The old for_each_zone_zonelist has been replaced with
for_each_zone_nodelist.

I will add some key implementation details in v2.

> We create zonelists with a certain sequence of the
> zones in order to prefer allocations from certain zones. This is in
> particular important for the smaller DMA zones which may be easily
> exhausted.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, but since commit
c9bff3eebc09 ("mm, page_alloc: rip out ZONELIST_ORDER_ZONE"), the
zonelist is always in "Node" order, so building the nodelist is fine.

--
Pengfei