Re: perf record doesn't work on rtd129x SoC

From: Robin Murphy
Date: Wed Dec 04 2019 - 09:51:34 EST

On 2019-12-04 7:28 am, Andreas FÃrber wrote:
Hi YanQing,

+ LAKML + Mark + Will

Am 04.12.19 um 05:55 schrieb Wang YanQing:
I use "perf record" to debug performance issue on RTD1296 SOC, it does't work, but
the "perf stat" is ok!

Thanks for the report - which board, branch and (base) tag are you
testing against? And are you building perf yourself from kernel sources,
or are you using some distro package?

I only have Busybox in my initrd on DS418; I have not tested perf.

After some dig in the kernel, I find the reason is no pmu overflow interrupt, I think
below pmu configuration isn't right for RTD1296:
"
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ arm_pmu: arm-pmu {
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ compatible = "arm,cortex-a53-pmu";
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ interrupts = <GIC_SPI 48 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ };
"

We need 4 PMU SPI for RTD1296 (4 cores), and I guess the 48 isn't right too.

Note that above rtd129x.dtsi snippet is not complete. See rtd1296.dtsi:

&arm_pmu {
ÂÂÂÂinterrupt-affinity = <&cpu0>, <&cpu1>, <&cpu2>, <&cpu3>;
};

That doesn't help much, since 4 affinities for one SPI is rather nonsensical.

48 and high/4 match what I see in the latest BSP:

https://github.com/BPI-SINOVOIP/BPI-M4-bsp/blob/master/linux-rtk/arch/arm64/boot/dts/realtek/rtd129x/rtd-1296.dtsi#L116

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks!

The only difference I see is "arm,cortex-a53-pmu" vs. "arm,armv8-pmuv3".
By my reading of arch/arm64/kernel/perf_event.c the only difference
between the two should be the name and an extra cache_map. You could try
the other compatible string in your .dts, but I doubt it'll help.

Hopefully the Realtek or Arm guys can shed some light.

If the SoC really has all 4 overflow interrupts combined into a single SPI line, then sampling just isn't going to be supported - it's unreasonably difficult to handle overflow when the IRQ may be taken on the wrong CPU.

On closer inspection, that BSP kernel implements a whole hrtimer-based bodge in arm_pmu to apparently work around not having usable interrupts, so yeah, this isn't going to be usable, sorry.

Robin.