AW: Crash in fair scheduler

From: Schmid, Carsten
Date: Fri Dec 06 2019 - 05:11:32 EST

Meanwhile i am diving a bit deeper into the kernel dump.
I can see that for this rb_root we have a node structure with 2 nodes:
crash> p -x *(struct rb_node *)0xffff99a9502e0d10
$7 = {
__rb_parent_color = 0xffff99a9502e0d10, <- points to SELF
rb_right = 0xffff99a9502e0d10, <- points to self
rb_left = 0xffff99a9502e1990 <- and we have a node left
}

The rb_left node:
crash> p -x *(struct rb_node *)0xffff99a9502e1990
$6 = {
__rb_parent_color = 0xffff99a9502e0d11, <- points to the rb_root node (bit 0 is color)
rb_right = 0x0, <- no leaf
rb_left = 0x0 <- no leaf
}

I'm currently trying to extract the information what se (scheduling entity)
covers these nodes.
Anyway, the cfs_rq->tasks_timeline.rb_leftmost should point to 0xffff99a9502e1990
as far as i understand the rb_tree, right?

> >I suppose one approach is to add code to both __enqueue_entity() and
> >__dequeue_entity() that compares ->rb_leftmost to the result of
> >rb_first(). That'd incur some overhead but it'd double check the logic.
>
> We could benefit from improved debugging in rbtrees, not only the cached
> flavor. Perhaps we can start with the following -- this would at least
> let us know if the case where the tree is non-empty and leftmost is nil
> was hit, whether in the scheduler or another user...
>
> Thanks,
> Davidlohr

That's what i will do too, add some debugging stuff.
Add that to the project i'm on here, not upstream; and try
to log as much debug data as possible if a similar case occurs again.
But as rb_tree is excessively used i need to be careful where
to add debug code due to performance impact.

The approach you do with a configurable rb_tree debug
might help me here, yes; i would have taken a similar approach.

Thanks,
Carsten