Re: [RFC-next 0/1] Odroid C2: Enable DVFS for cpu

From: Martin Blumenstingl
Date: Thu Dec 12 2019 - 15:10:08 EST

Hi Neil,

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 9:49 AM Neil Armstrong <narmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/12/2019 22:47, Kevin Hilman wrote:
> > Martin Blumenstingl <martin.blumenstingl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> (I don't have an Odroid-C2 but I'm curious)
> >> should Anand submit a patch to mainline u-boot instead?
> >
> > It would be in addition to $SUBJECT patch, not instead, I think.
> >
> >> the &scpi_clocks node could be enabled at runtime by mainline u-boot
> >
> > That would work, but I don't know about u-boot maintainers opinions on
> > this kind of thing, so let's see what Neil thinks.
>
> U-Boot doesn't anything to do with SCPI, SCPI discusses directly with the SCP
> processor, and the CPU clock is set to 1,56GHz by the BL2 boot stage before
> U-boot starts.
>
> The only viable solution I see now is to find if we could add a DT OPP table
> only for Odroid-C2 dts to bypass the SCPI OPP table.
my understanding is that mainline u-boot (with whatever SCP firmware
it uses) provides the *correct* OPP table
in this case it would be "safe" to have SCPI enabled with mainline u-boot
@Anand: please correct me if I misunderstood you

my idea to "enable SCPI with mainline u-boot" is to have u-boot update
the "status" property of the scpi_clocks node.
u-boot does something similar with the mac-address property of the
Ethernet controller for example.
as result of this users of mainline u-boot would have working CPU
DVFS, while users of the old vendor u-boot would run at fixed 1.54GHz.

Martin