Re: [GIT PULL] timer fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Dec 17 2019 - 15:44:08 EST

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 12:35 PM Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Pray.. the TSC MSR is still writable from SMM, so BIOS monkeys could
> still do what they've been doing for decades.

Sure. And the HPET is unreliable, so the checking causes issues.

Which one should we worry about?

> Also, what consititutes a 'modern' CPU?

I think anything that has TSC_STABLE set should likely be considered
more reliable than HPET.

Or whatever the bit is called. The "doesn't stop in idle" thing.

> > The HPET seems to get disabled on all the modern platforms, why do we
> > even have it enabled by default?
>
> These new ones yeah, cuz they wrecked HPET in PC10 :/

That's my point. HPET isn't _used_ by Windows, so it gets no testing,
so it will continue to have bugs.

At least the TSC is used.

I do agree about the whole SMM issue, but it seems less of a pain than
the HPET issue.

Linus