[5.3 Regression] x86/ioapic change causes suspend problem

From: Daniel Harding
Date: Sat Dec 21 2019 - 05:04:01 EST

Over the past few weeks I've been experiencing problems with suspend/hybrid sleep on my laptop (a Clevo N240BU, Intel Core i7-7500U). Instead of the suspend process completing normally, the computer hangs with a blank screen and the CPU fan spinning above idle. I have to forcibly power off the computer to get it to turn off. If I invoke hybrid sleep, the hibernation image is intact and I am able to resume from that after powering the computer back on.

I bisected the issue, and traced it to commit dfe0cf8b51b07e56ded571e3de0a4a9382517231. Before that commit, suspend works reliably, but afterward it hangs most of the time. I verified that the problem still exists in version 5.4.5, but have not tested the latest master.

If there is any more information that would be useful or if I can help to resolve this issue in any way, please let me know.

Regards,

Daniel Harding