Re: [kernel.org users] [RFC] tools lib traceevent: How to do library versioning being in the Linux kernel source?

From: Jason Gunthorpe
Date: Mon Jan 06 2020 - 15:47:19 EST

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 11:36:15AM -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 13:26:23 -0300
> Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <arnaldo.melo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > So, we have:
> >
> > https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/tools/perf/
> >
> > trying to mimic the kernel sources tree structure, so perhaps we could
> > have:
> >
> > https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/tools/lib/{perf,traceevent}/
> >
> > To continue that directory tree mirror?
>
> Wouldn't that become a bit of manual work. Unlike perf, the versions
> will not correspond to the Linux kernel versions. They would need to
> follow library versioning.
>
> It would at a minimum require new scripting to get this right.

If it is not tightly linked to the kernel and is just a normal
library, you might consider using github. This is what we do for the
rdma user space and it works well. We still take patches from the
mailing list flow, but do use a fair amount of the github stuff too:

https://github.com/linux-rdma/rdma-core

With github actions now able to provide a quite good CI it covers a
lot of required stuff for a library in one place, in a way that
doesn't silo all the build infrastucture.

If you are interested in how we set it up I can write a longer email.

Regards,
Jason