Re: [RFC] tools lib traceevent: How to do library versioning being in the Linux kernel source?

From: Namhyung Kim
Date: Tue Jan 07 2020 - 08:15:16 EST

Hello Steve,

Happy new year!

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 8:19 AM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> BTW, while doing some minor fixes, I realized I still have generic
> names for "warning", "pr_stat" and "vpr_stat" and thought they should
> be changed to "tep_warning", "tep_pr_stat" and "tep_vpr_stat" for
> namespace reasons even though they are weak functions. Would this
> require a major version change, or perhaps its early enough to get this
> in with a minor version change as the libraries are probably not being
> used yet?

Hmm.. I don't think it requires a major version change as they are not
public APIs actually. They are internal functions but can be overridden
by external ones, right?

I guess it's because there was a concern with printing messages in
a library. What about adding a mechanism to register callbacks
(and maybe defaults to discard all messages)?

Thanks
Namhyung