Re: [Question] Why PageReadahead is not migrated by migration code?

From: Yang Shi
Date: Thu Feb 13 2020 - 13:04:43 EST

On 2/13/20 9:33 AM, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 09:06:58AM -0800, Yang Shi wrote:
Recently we saw some PageReadahead related bugs, so I did a quick check
about the use of PageReadahead. I just found the state is *not* migrated by
migrate_page_states().

Since migrate_page() won't migrate writeback page, so if PageReadahead is
set it should just mean PG_readahead rather than PG_reclaim. So, I didn't
think of why it is not migrated.

I dig into the history a little bit, but the change in migration code is too
overwhelming. But, it looks PG_readahead was added after migration was
introduced. Is it just a simple omission?
It's probably more that it just doesn't matter enough. If the Readahead
flag is missing on a page then the application will perform slightly worse
for a few pages as it ramps its readahead back up again. On the other
hand, you just migrated its pages to a different NUMA node, so chances
are there are bigger perofmrance problems happening at this moment anyway.

I think we probably should migrate it, but I can understand why nobody's
noticed it before.

Thanks. I tend to agree the slight performance loss might be hidden by other things.