Re: [GIT PULL] x86 cleanups for v5.7

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Apr 01 2020 - 20:16:56 EST

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 4:55 PM Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> - x86 starts the short log after the colon with an uppercase
> letter

Ahh. I actually tried to match the previous ones by Al, and they don't
follow that pattern.

> - 'macross' is really gross :)

Oops.

> - All commits lack a Link:https//lore.kernel.org/r/$MSG-ID tag. That
> might be an oversight or just reflecting the fact that these patches
> have never seen a mailing list.

Yeah. They were literally me looking at my patch in my other tree, and
trying to make incremental progress.

Nobody else has a working compiler to even test that patch, because
even upstream tip-of-the-day llvm mis-generates code (I have a patch
that makes it generate ok code, but that one isn't good enough to
actually go upstream in llvm).

I don't think I'll do any more, because the next stage really is to
actually have some CONFIG_ASM_GOTO_WITH_INPUTS code and then try to
make something similar to the SET_CC for this.

> From a quick check I can confirm that the resulting text changes are
> just random noise and I did not notice anything horrible in the
> generated code either.

Btw, do you guys have some better object code comparison thing than my
"objdump plus a few sed scripts to hide code movement effects"

Linus