Re: [GIT PULL] Please pull proc and exec work for 5.7-rc1

From: Bernd Edlinger
Date: Fri Apr 03 2020 - 12:00:20 EST

On 4/2/20 9:52 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 12:31 PM Bernd Edlinger
> <bernd.edlinger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> This is at least what is my impression how the existing mutexes are used,
>> a mutex called "cred_guard_mutex" is a not very good self explaining name,
>> in my opinion, it is totally unclear what it does "guard", and why.
>
> Oh, I absolutely agree that cred_guard_mutex is a horrible lock.
>
> It actually _used_ to be a lot more understandable, and the name used
> to make more sense in the context it was used.
>
> See commit
>
> a2a8474c3fff ("exec: do not sleep in TASK_TRACED under ->cred_guard_mutex")
> > for when it changed from "somewhat understandable" to "really hard to follow".

Ah, yes, there it was introduced.

That fixed only the case of a single-threaded process doing execve,
but missed to fix the case of a multi-threaded process doing execve,
and the other threads racing with the execve. That is what happened
on my laptop, again and again, when I tried to fix a bug in the
gcc testsuite, that is while I wanted to track down another bug,
that is why the gcc testsuite left loads of temp-files in /tmp,
until I decided to go on a little bug-hunt in the linux kernel
instead :-/

And I had no idea what was happening at all. But that way this bug
bit me again and again, until I realized the nature of the strace
problem, when I was really baffled.

Before I considered a linux patch for that I tried to fix it in the
strace code instead, and in fact I had tried two approaches,
one is wait in a signal handler, that did not work.
The second one is use another thread that does the wait, and that
did only work when I disable the PTRACE_O_TRACEEXIT flags.

I posted the two patches on lkml, just for reference.
Maybe you are amused by those patches. I consider that a craziness myself,
but it was indeed able to avoid the deadlock, with a user space change alone:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/AM6PR03MB5170D68B5010FCA627A603F8E4E60@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

so that is more or less for your amusement, sincerely I would not propose
that as the way to fix the strace deadlock.

Bernd.