Re: acr: failed to load firmware with Kernel 5.6. Kernel 5.5 works just fine.

From: Ilia Mirkin
Date: Fri Apr 03 2020 - 14:31:11 EST

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 1:59 PM Zeno Davatz <zdavatz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 7:23 PM Ilia Mirkin <imirkin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Thank you, Ilia
> > >
> > > I will try that on my Gentoo/Funtoo machine now. So far linux-firmware
> > > was not needed with Kernel 5.5, so it was not installed on my machine.
> >
> > It was needed on 5.5 as well. It's just that it fell back gracefully
> > without firmware, and you didn't get any acceleration features.
>
> Do I need any of these enabled for linux-firmware to load properly in
> Kernel 5.6?
>
> -*- Firmware loading facility
> â â () Build named firmware
> blobs into the kernel binary
> â â [ ] Enable the firmware
> sysfs fallback mechanism
> â â [ ] Enable compressed
> firmware support

Depends on distro specifics. Also the firmware has to be available at
the time that nouveau loads. The corollary to this is:

If it's built into the kernel, then the firmware must also be included
in the kernel (since this happens before any FS stuff)
If it's loaded as a module from initrd, then initrd must contain the firmware

If you need help including firmware in the right place, a distro
support channel is probably your best shot.

Cheers,

-ilia