Re: acr: failed to load firmware with Kernel 5.6. Kernel 5.5 works just fine.

From: Zeno Davatz
Date: Sat Apr 04 2020 - 06:13:03 EST

Dear Ilia

FYI:

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 8:31 PM Ilia Mirkin <imirkin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Depends on distro specifics. Also the firmware has to be available at
> the time that nouveau loads. The corollary to this is:
>
> If it's built into the kernel, then the firmware must also be included
> in the kernel (since this happens before any FS stuff)
> If it's loaded as a module from initrd, then initrd must contain the firmware
>
> If you need help including firmware in the right place, a distro
> support channel is probably your best shot.

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/nvidia-driver-does-not-work-for-kernel-5-6-nvidia-gp107/118413/6

/usr/src/linux> dmesg | grep nvidia
[ 3.203080] nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
[ 3.203088] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[ 3.218324] nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major
device number 248
[ 3.218640] nvidia 0000:05:00.0: vgaarb: changed VGA decodes:
olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=io+mem
[ 3.431032] nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting
Driver for UNIX platforms 440.64 Fri Feb 21 00:43:19 UTC 2020
[ 3.451954] [drm] [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000500] Loading driver
[ 3.451956] [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20160202 for
0000:05:00.0 on minor 1

Best
Zeno