Re: [Bisected] Oops witn 5.7.0-rc1

From: Giovanni Gherdovich
Date: Mon Apr 20 2020 - 04:44:57 EST

On Sat, 2020-04-18 at 18:15 +0200, Harald Arnesen wrote:
> Kernel 5.7.0-rc1 and later won't boot on my ThinkPad T510i.
>
> The attached jpeg is all I can capture of the oops. Bisected to commit
> 1567c3e3467cddeb019a7b53ec632f834b6a9239, but I cannot revert that to check.
>
> A strange thing: The same commit is in 5.6.5, and that kernel boots
> fine. 5.7.0-rc1 also boots fine on my desktop.
>
> Screenshot and config attached. Please request any further info.

Hello Harald,

thanks for the report.

The problem you encountered is likely due to a bug where the code doesn't work
on machines with less than 4 physical CPU cores. It is fixed by this patch
series:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200416054745.740-1-ggherdovich@xxxxxxx/

The series has been acknowledged by the subsystem maintainers but not yet
merged in any tree (it is expected to land in the "tip" tree and then be pulled
by Linus).

Thanks,
Giovanni Gherdovich