Re: stop using ioctl_by_bdev in the s390 DASD driver

From: Christian Borntraeger
Date: Tue Apr 21 2020 - 05:58:43 EST

On 21.04.20 08:12, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Hi Jens and DASD maintainers,
>
> can you take a look at this series, which stops the DASD driver from
> issuing ioctls from kernel space, in preparation of removing
> ioctl_by_bdev. I don't really like the new s390-only method, but short
> of forcing the dasd driver to be built into the kernel I can't think of
> anything better. But maybe the s390 maintainers are fine with forcing
> the DASD driver to be built in, in which case we could go down that
> route?

Hmm the defconfig results in dasd built-in anyway. But distros really like
to keep it modular.

Hmm, we do have

obj-$(CONFIG_DASD) += dasd_mod.o
obj-$(CONFIG_DASD_DIAG) += dasd_diag_mod.o
obj-$(CONFIG_DASD_ECKD) += dasd_eckd_mod.o
obj-$(CONFIG_DASD_FBA) += dasd_fba_mod.o

Would it work to make CONFIG_DASD built-in only and keep the other 3 as modules?
Not sure about the implications.