Re: [v3,net-next 1/4] net: qos: introduce a gate control flow action

From: Allan W. Nielsen
Date: Thu Apr 23 2020 - 15:11:38 EST

On 22.04.2020 22:28, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
>> tc qdisc add dev eth0 ingress
>
>> tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol ip \
> flower src_ip 192.168.0.20 \
> action gate index 2 clockid CLOCK_TAI \
> sched-entry open 200000000 -1 8000000 \
> sched-entry close 100000000 -1 -1

First of all, it is a long time since I read the 802.1Qci and when I did
it, it was a draft. So please let me know if I'm completly off here.

I know you are focusing on the gate control in this patch serie, but I
assume that you later will want to do the policing and flow-meter as
well. And it could make sense to consider how all of this work
toghether.

A common use-case for the policing is to have multiple rules pointing at
the same policing instance. Maybe you want the sum of the traffic on 2
ports to be limited to 100mbit. If you specify such action on the
individual rule (like done with the gate), then you can not have two
rules pointing at the same policer instance.

Long storry short, have you considered if it would be better to do
something like:

tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol ip \
flower src_ip 192.168.0.20 \
action psfp-id 42

And then have some other function to configure the properties of psfp-id
42?

/Allan

It is very good that you brought it up though, since in my opinion too
it is a rather important aspect, and it seems that the fact this
feature is already designed-in was a bit too subtle.

"psfp-id" is actually his "index" argument.
Ahh.. Thanks for clarifying, I missed this point completly.