Re: Request for feedback : Possible use-after-free in routing SA query via netlink

From: Jason Gunthorpe
Date: Fri Apr 24 2020 - 14:22:28 EST

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 08:28:09AM -0700, Divya Indi wrote:

> If we look at the query, it does not appear to be a valid ib_sa_query. Instead
> looks like a pid struct for a process -> Use-after-free situation.
>
> We could simulate the crash by explicitly introducing a delay in ib_nl_snd_msg with
> a sleep. The timer kicks in before ib_nl_send_msg has even sent out the request
> and releases the query. We could reproduce the crash with a similar stack trace.
>
> To summarize - We have a use-after-free possibility here when the timer(ib_nl_request_timeout)
> kicks in before ib_nl_snd_msg has completed sending the query out to ibacm via netlink. The
> timeout handler ie ib_nl_request_timeout may result in releasing the query while ib_nl_snd_msg
> is still accessing query.
>
> Appreciate your thoughts on the above issue.

Your assesment looks right to me.

Fixing it will require being able to clearly explain what the lifetime
cycle is for ib_sa_query - and what is there today looks like a mess,
so I'm not sure what it should be changed into.

There is lots of other stuff there that looks really weird, like
ib_sa_cancel_query() keeps going even though there are still timers
running..

Jason