Re: Xilinx axienet 1000BaseX support

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Tue Apr 28 2020 - 18:00:12 EST

On 2020-04-22 1:51 a.m., Russell King - ARM Linux admin wrote:
On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 07:45:47PM -0600, Robert Hancock wrote:
Hi Andre/Russell,

Just wondering where things got to with the changes for SGMII on Xilinx
axienet that you were discussing (below)? I am looking into our Xilinx setup
using 1000BaseX SFP and trying to get it working "properly" with newer
kernels. My understanding is that the requirements for 1000BaseX and SGMII
are somewhat similar. I gathered that SGMII was working somewhat already,
but that not all link modes had been tested. However, it appears 1000BaseX
is not yet working in the stock kernel.

The way I had this working before with a 4.19-based kernel was basically a
hack to phylink to allow the Xilinx PCS/PMA PHY to be configured
sufficiently as a PHY for it to work, and mostly ignored the link status of
the SFP PHY itself, even though we were using in-band signalling mode with
an SFP module. That was using this patch:

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/patch/1559330285-30246-5-git-send-email-hancock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/

Of course, that's basically just a hack which I suspect mostly worked by
luck. I see that there are some helpers that were added to phylink to allow
setting PHY advertisements and reading PHY status from clause 22 PHY
devices, so I'm guessing that is the way to go in this case? Something like:

axienet_mac_config: if using in-band mode, use
phylink_mii_c22_pcs_set_advertisement to configure the Xilinx PHY.

axienet_mac_pcs_get_state: use phylink_mii_c22_pcs_get_state to get the MAC
PCS state from the Xilinx PHY

axienet_mac_an_restart: if using in-band mode, use
phylink_mii_c22_pcs_an_restart to restart autonegotiation on Xilinx PHY

To use those c22 functions, we need to find the mdio_device that's
referenced by the phy-handle in the device tree - I guess we can just use
some of the guts of of_phy_find_device to do that?

Please see the code for DPAA2 - it's changed slightly since I sent a
copy to the netdev mailing list, and it still isn't clear whether this
is the final approach (DPAA2 has some fun stuff such as several
different PHYs at address 0.) NXP basically didn't like the approach
I had in the patches I sent to netdev, we had a call, they presented
an alternative appraoch, I implemented it, then they decided my
original approach was the better solution for their situation.

See http://git.armlinux.org.uk/cgit/linux-arm.git/log/?h=cex7

specifically the patches from:

"dpaa2-mac: add 1000BASE-X/SGMII PCS support"

through to:

"net: phylink: add interface to configure clause 22 PCS PHY"

You may also need some of the patches further down in the net-queue
branch:

"net: phylink: avoid mac_config calls"

through to:

"net: phylink: rejig link state tracking"

I've been playing with this a bit on a 5.4 kernel with some of these patches backported. However, I'm running into something that my previous hacks for this basically dealt with as a side effect: when phylink_start is called, sfp_upstream_start gets called, an SFP module is detected, phylink_connect_phy gets called, but then it hits this condition and bails out, because we are using INBAND mode with 1000BaseX:

if (WARN_ON(pl->cfg_link_an_mode == MLO_AN_FIXED ||
(pl->cfg_link_an_mode == MLO_AN_INBAND &&
phy_interface_mode_is_8023z(interface))))
return -EINVAL;

That same code is still in the latest version in the arm-linux cex7 branch, except now in phylink_attach_phy, and from what I can see would behave similarly.

I guess I'm not sure how this is supposed to work when the PHY on the SFP module gets detected, i.e. if there's supposed to be another code path that this is supposed to go down, or this is something that just hasn't been fully implemented yet?

--
Robert Hancock
Senior Hardware Designer