Re: Query regarding pseudo nmi support on GIC V3 and request_nmi()

From: Neeraj Upadhyay
Date: Fri May 08 2020 - 07:07:01 EST

Hi Marc,

On 5/8/2020 4:15 PM, Marc Zyngier wrote:
On Thu, 07 May 2020 17:06:19 +0100,
Neeraj Upadhyay <neeraju@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I have one query regarding pseudo NMI support on GIC v3; from what I
could understand, GIC v3 supports pseudo NMI setup for SPIs and PPIs.
However the request_nmi() in irq framework requires NMI to be per cpu
interrupt source (it checks for IRQF_PERCPU). Can you please help
understand this part, how SPIs can be configured as NMIs, if there is
a per cpu interrupt source restriction?

Let me answer your question by another question: what is the semantic
of a NMI if you can't associate it with a particular CPU?

I was actually thinking of a use case, where, we have a watchdog interrupt (which is a SPI), which is used for detecting software hangs
and cause device reset; If that interrupt's current cpu affinity is on a core, where interrupts are disabled, we won't be able to serve it; so, we need to group that interrupt as an fiq; I was thinking, if its feasible to mark that interrupt as pseudo NMI and route it to EL1 as irq. However, looks like that is not the semantic of a NMI and we would
need something like pseudo NMI ipi for this.

We use pseudo-NMI to be able to profile (or detect lockups) within
sections where normal interrupts cannot fire. If the interrupt can
end-up on a random CPU (with an unrelated PMU or one that hasn't
locked up), what have we achieved? Only confusion.

The whole point is that NMIs have to be tied to a given CPU. For
SGI/PPI, this is guaranteed by construction. For SPIs, this means that
the affinity cannot be changed from userspace. IRQF_PERCPU doesn't
mean much in this context as we don't "broadcast" interrupts, but is
an indication to the core kernel that the same interrupt cannot be
taken on another CPU.

The short of it is that NMIs are only for per-CPU sources. For SPIs,
that's for PMUs that use SPIs instead of PPIs. Don't use it for
anything else.

Thank you for the explanation!

Thanks,

M.

Thanks
Neeraj

--
QUALCOMM INDIA, on behalf of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum, hosted by The Linux Foundation