Re: [patch V4 part 1 05/36] x86/entry: Flip _TIF_SIGPENDING and _TIF_NOTIFY_RESUME handling

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Wed May 13 2020 - 22:51:57 EST

----- On May 13, 2020, at 8:12 PM, Thomas Gleixner tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
[...]
>>> Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> Also, color me confused: is "do_signal()" actually running any user-space,
>>> or just setting up the user-space stack for eventual return to signal
>>> handler ?
>
> I'm surprised that you can't answer that question yourself. How did you
> ever make rseq work and how did rseq_signal_deliver() end up in
> setup_rt_frame()?
>
> Hint: Tracing might answer that question
>
> And to cut it short:
>
> Exit to user space happnes only through ONE channel, i.e. leaving
> prepare_exit_to usermode().

[...]

Yes, I'm very well aware of this. But the patch commit message states:

"Make sure task_work runs before any kind of userspace -- very much
including signals -- is invoked."

which seems to imply that "userspace" can be "invoked" before the task_work
runs. Which makes no sense whatsoever. Hence my confused state.

>>> Also, it might be OK, but we're changing the order of two things which
>>> have effects on each other: restartable sequences abort fixup for preemption
>>> and do_signal(), which also have effects on rseq abort.
>>>
>>> Because those two will cause the abort to trigger, I suspect changing
>>> the order might be OK, but we really need to think this through.
>
> That's a purely academic problem. The order is completely
> irrelevant. You have to handle any order anyway:

Yes indeed, whether either a signal handler frame fixup or return IP
fixup fires first (clearing the rseq_cs pointer in the process) is
irrelevant, because they will have the effect on the user-space program's
flow. And as you say, given it is run in a loop and can be preempted,
any order can happen here, so we have to be prepared for it. This loop
has caused me tons of headaches when stress-testing on NUMA machines by
the way.

> That said, even for the case Andy and Peter were looking at (MCE) the
> ordering is completely irrelevant.

Not sure about that, see Andy's follow up.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers