Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the keys tree

From: Jason A. Donenfeld
Date: Thu May 14 2020 - 19:25:31 EST

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 6:35 AM Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 9:11 PM David Howells <dhowells@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Your touch might be helpful here. CRYPTO_LIB_CHACHA20POLY1305 is a
> > > tristate and depends on as well as selects other things that are
> > > tristates.
> > >
> > > Meanwhile BIG_KEYS is a bool, which needs to select
> > > CRYPTO_LIB_CHACHA20POLY1305. However, it gets antsy if the the symbol
> > > its selecting has =m items in its hierarchy.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions? The ideal thing to happen would be that the select of
> > > CRYPTO_LIB_CHACHA20POLY1305 in BIG_KEYS causes all of the descendants
> > > to become =y too.
> >
> > I think that select is broken in its behaviour - it doesn't propagate the
> > selection enforcement up the tree. You could try changing it to a depends on
> > or you could put in a select for every dependency.
>
> I agree.
> 'depends on' will be cleaner.

That's fine, but also makes it more annoying for people to select
big_keys, and I don't know how David feels in that regard.

Seems like it'd be useful to have something that means "select X and
all the things X needs to not be broken", though satisfiability
problems like that can get really complicated quite fast.