RE: RFC - kernel selftest result documentation (KTAP)

From: Bird, Tim
Date: Tue Jun 16 2020 - 12:42:17 EST

By TAP14, I was referring to the current, undocumented, KUnit
conventions.

> > With regards to making it optional or not, I don't have a strong
> > preference. The extra info seems helpful in some circumstances.
> > I don't know if it's too onerous to make it a requirement or not.
> > I'd prefer if it was always there (either at the beginning or the end),
> > but if there is some situation where it's quite difficult to calculate,
> > then it would be best not to mandate it. I can't think of any impossible
> > situations at the moment.
>
> I think making the plan mandatory is a good idea. "Late plans" work
> very well for cases where you cannot know in advance the number of tests
> (for example in filters that produce TAP from other output), and provide
> an additional safety net.
>
> >> "Bail out!" to be moved to "optional" elements, since it may not appear.
> >> And we should clarify TAP13 and TAP14's language to say it should only
> >> appear when the test is aborting without running later tests -- for this
> >> reason, I think the optional "description" following "Bail out!" should
> >> be made required. I.e. it must be: "Bail out! $reason"
> >
> > I'll make sure this is listed as optional.
> > I like adding a mandatory reason.
>
> +1.
>
> >> TAP13/14 makes description optional, are we making it required (I think
> >> we should). There seems to be a TAP13/14 "convention" of starting
> >> <description> with "- ", which I'm on the fence about it. It does make
> >> parsing maybe a little easier.
> >
> > I would like the description to be required.
> > I don't have a strong opinion on the dash. I'm OK with either one (dash
> > or no dash), but we should make kselftest and KUnit consistent.
>
> I think no mandatory dash is better (or even mandatory no-dash!). We
> can suggest removing it when formatting TAP output.

My personal preference is to have the dash. I think it's more human readable.
I note that the TAP spec has examples of result lines both with and without
the dash, so even the spec is ambiguous on this. I think not mandating it
either way is probably best. For regex parsers, it's easy to ignore with '[-]?'
outside the pattern groups that grab the number and description.

> How so? The description comes first, but there can be a description of
> the directive.
None of the examples of skips in the TAP13 spec have a test descriptions before
the '# SKIP' directive. But maybe I read too much into the examples. There is a
format example, and a list of items in a result line that both have the test description
before the directive. So maybe I read this wrong.

> not ok 4 - Summarized correctly # TODO Not written yet

> >> I think the required syntax should be:
> >>
> >> Bail out! <reason>
> >>
> >> And to make it clear that this is optionally used to indicate an early
> >> abort. (Though with a leading plan line, a parser should be able to
> >> determine this on its own.)
>
> True. However, "Bail out!" allow to distinguish issues with the harness
> (such as ENOSPC) from test aborts.

> >> Agreed: SKIP should cover everything TODO does.
>
> XFAIL/XPASS are different from SKIP. I personally don't have a need for
> them, but kselftests includes XFAIL/XPASS exit codes and they aren't
> reflected into selftests/kselftest/runner.sh.
>
> Likewise, kselftest.h has ksft_inc_xfail_cnt but not
> ksft_test_result_xfail/ksft_test_result_xpass.
>
> It's important to notice in the spec that the TODO directive inverts the
> direction of ok/not-ok (i.e. XFAIL, the "good" result, is represented by
> "not ok # TODO").

The TAP13 spec is not explicit about the result for TODO (and only provides
one example), but the text *does* say a TODO can represent a bug to be fixed.
This makes it the equivalent of XFAIL. I hadn't noticed this before. Thanks.

> >> This is interesting... is the goal to be able to report test status over
> >> time by name?
>
> What about "/" instead?
In my experience, / is used in a lot of test descriptions (when quoting
file paths) (not in kselftest, but in lots of other tests). Both Fuego
and KernelCI use colons, and that's what kselftest already uses,
so it seems like a good choice.