Re: WARNING: at mm/mremap.c:211 move_page_tables in i386

From: Joel Fernandes
Date: Tue Jul 14 2020 - 14:12:48 EST

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 12:11 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 9:08 AM Joel Fernandes <joel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking we should not call move_page_tables() with overlapping ranges
> > at all, just to keep things simple.
>
> No, we're not breaking the existing stack movement code just to keep
> things simple.
>
> The rule is "make it as simple as possible, but no simpler".
>
> And "as possible" in the case of Linux means "no breaking of old
> interfaces". The stack randomization movement most certainly counts.

Hi Linus,
I think you misunderstood me. I was not advocating breaking the stack
movement code or breaking stack randomization, I was going to try to
see if I could keep that working while not having to do an overlapping
move. That would be what I would do in the future patch (until which
as you mentioned, you would switch the WARN_ON to WARN_ON_ONCE).

I agree with you that we keep things as simple as possible while not
breaking functionality.

Cheers,

- Joel