Re: [RFC] METADATA design using V4l2 Request API

From: Hans Verkuil
Date: Mon Aug 03 2020 - 07:32:46 EST

On 16/06/2020 15:00, dikshita@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Nicolas, Hans,
>
> Thanks for your comments and sorry for the delayed response.
>
> On 2020-06-12 22:07, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:

> I tried an experiment where I removed set control from the client for metadata,
> queued buffer and request to driver and when capture buffer was ready, I dequeued the buffer,
> extracted the request fd and called get_ext_control IOCTL on driver.
> this resulted in error from https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-ctrls.c#L3678
> based on what I understood, since there was no set control for the request,
> there was no v4l2 ctrl handler object associated with it so no obj was found and
> hence the error(please correct if my understanding is wrong).
>
> So if client is not supposed to call set control on capture plane then
> 1. how to avoid the above error?
> 2. should driver call v4l2_s_ext_ctrls() with the request once buffer and request are
>    queued to driver? Driver should be able to extract the request fd from request to
>    achieve the same right? is that possible?

It's a bug. This RFC series provides a fix:

https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/project/linux-media/cover/20200728094851.121933-1-hverkuil-cisco@xxxxxxxxx/

>>> Hmm, I think I missed this email.
>>>
>>> Note that there is no guarantee that reading a control after a DQBUF will give
>>> you the value for that dequeued frame. The driver may already have generated
>>> multiple capture frames by the time userspace dequeues the oldest buffer.

>>> Right.

>>> For HDR information you don't need 6. For histogram/statistics such
>>> information might become available after the capture buffer was ready.
>>>
>>> I would just implement this as follows:
>>>
>>> 4. Wait for the request to complete
>>
>> I should have clarified my thought, I first wrote it like this, but
>> then realized that it forces the driver into picking up capture buffer
>> in the same order they were queued. For an encoder, it might be a
>> problem as in practice it does not encode in the same order it will
>> produce (I think this depends on internal encoder implementation
>> details though).
>>
>> So in fact, I was waiting on the queue, to pop a Capture buffer to
>> figure-out which request was being involved. And then I'd get the
>> control value for that request (which may need waiting further on the
>> request, the "heavy" reference is there).
>>
>> But I think we can assume this is all in order for HDMI/SDI/CSI capture
>> (well raw/bayer capture mostly) and keep it a bit more lightweight
>> there.
>>
>>> 5. Dequeue a capture buffer, and lookup it's request FD
>>> 6. Read the meta control passing the request
>>>
>>> No need to wait for both the request and the capture buffer.
>>
>> Ack.
>
> The sequence which I followed for implementing this is.
>  1. Allocate capture buffers
>  2. Allocate the same number of request fd
>  3. For each capture buffer
>     3.1 call VIDIOC_S_EXT_CTRLS IOCTL to the driver with metadata info and request fd
>     3.2 Queue the capture buffer (passing the request)
>     3.3 Queue the request
> 4. Wait for capture buffer to be ready
> 5. Dequeue a capture buffer, and lookup it's request FD
> 6. Call VIDIOC_G_EXT_CTRLS passing the request for the dequeued buffer.
>
> Qualcomm H/W generates both data buffer and metadata buffer at the same time and
> provides this info to the driver in a single response, there won't be separate responses for
> data buffer and metadata buffer.
> so there is no need to wait for request completion.
> The driver will write meta info in the control before sending buffer done to the client.
> so when the buffer is available for deque, meta info will also be available.
>
> but I agree that the wait for the request might be required for HW that generates
> data buffer and metadata buffer separately.

It is safer to wait for the request event rather than assuming knowledge of
the driver implementation.

>>>  Now this is pretty heavy, but does not seems broken. The
>>>
>>> There are two possible mechanisms today:
>>>
>>> 1) use requests for the capture queue, and then you need to query the
>>> request for the static HDR control. The advantage is that this is a
>>> 1-to-1 mapping of the control value with the buffer. The disadvantage is that
>>> it adds overhead.
>
> Since we need 1-to-1 mapping of buffer and metadata info using this approach for
> capture queue as well should be fine, right? or there are any concerns?

Yes, that should be fine (you'd use read-only requests for this, as per the
RFC series linked to above).

>>> 2) don't use requests, instead just subscribe to the control event.
>>> Whenever the static HDR meta data changes, you'll get an event. But
>>> then it isn't linked to a specific frame.
>>>
>>> A third option would be to extend struct v4l2_event_ctrl with a __u32
>>> buffer_index field to associate a capture buffer with this change. You'd
>>> need an addition control flag as well to indicate that this control is
>>> associated with a specific buffer.
>>>
>>> (Just a brainstorm, this no doubt would need some refinement)
>>
>> Or extend with a target sequence number, as we already have this unique
>> number handy.
>>
>> In fact I was already thinking about extending the event with a target
>> v4l2_buffer sequence. But then I realized that if you have two
>> consecutive changes, there is still no way to ensure you can read the
>> control value matching the event you are processing.
>>
>> So this idea would conceptually mean that instead of using the
>> "request" as a control storage, we'd be using per "buffer" control
>> storage. I wonder how realistic this is in the existing framework. But
>> could be a thread to explore.
>>
>> To add to the brainstorm, we could introduce a meta type for controls.
>> Can't think of a name now, but basically we would "pop" a control
>> value. That control would contain the information needed to identify
>> the buffer it applied to (like a sequence number). Fifo would be leaky
>> at the tail, and sized around the size of the queue. This way,
>> userspace can ignore it without causing any leaks, which also allow for
>> backward compatibility.
>>
>> The "pop" ioctl could be extended with the target sequence number, so
>> that you get exactly the control you are looking for (ignoring the
>> older one, and preventing the newer one from being extracted). Of
>> course, the event is needed to tel when something get queued for static
>> meta.
>>

>>>  While for HDR10+
>>>
>>> No, we don't. For that you would want a metadata video device.
>>>
>>> Dynamic metadata is a separate problem. I would also really like to know
>>> a bit more about the various HW implementations for this before deciding
>>> on a specific API. E.g., can all HW pass this data to a separate DMA engine?
>>> Would it only split off dynamic metadata or just all InfoFrames?
>
> Qualcomm HW has a single DMA engine that stores both data and metadata buffer and
> the driver is notified by HW in a single response with both data buffer and metadata buffer.

Are the video data and meta data buffers separate? Or are they all dumped in one
buffer? How does the HW know how many bytes should be reserved for the metadata?
Is there a hardware limit?

> So using a request based approach for HDR10+ metadata or any dynamic data as well should be fine?

Not quite sure what you mean. A request based approach is certainly valid, but
do you want to use a control for the dynamic metadata or a video device?

I would prefer the latter. But that also assumes that the video and metadata
arrive in different buffers.

Regards,

Hans