srvfs: file system for posting open file descriptors into fs namespace

From: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
Date: Fri Aug 07 2020 - 07:11:18 EST

Hello folks,

here's the first version of my "srvfs" implementation - a synthentic
filesystem which allows a process to "publish" an open file descriptor
into the file system, so other processes can continue from there, with
whatever state the fd is already in.

This is a concept from Plan9. The main purpose is allowing applications
"dialing" some connection, do initial handshakes (eg. authentication)
and then publish the connection to other applications, that now can now
make use of the already dialed connection.

I'm currently developing it out-of-tree - will convert it to patches,
once it reached a stable state.

https://github.com/metux/linux-srvfs-oot

Some quick background pointers on how it works on Plan9:
http://man.cat-v.org/plan_9/4/exportfs
https://9fans.github.io/plan9port/man/man3/dial.html

have fun,

--