[Latest Git kernel/Linux-next kernel] Xorg doesn't start after the seccomp updates v5.9-rc1

From: Christian Zigotzky
Date: Fri Aug 07 2020 - 10:57:23 EST

Hello,

Xorg doesn't start with the latest Git kernel anymore on some Linux distributions after the seccomp updates v5.9-rc1 [1]. For example on Fienix (Debian Sid PowerPC 32-bit) and on ubuntu MATE 16.04.6 (PowerPC 32-bit). I tested these distributions on the A-EON AmigaOne X1000 [2], A-EON AmigaOne X5000 [3], and in a virtual e5500 QEMU machine with a virtio_gpu.

Error messages:

systemd-journald[2238]: Failed to send WATCHDOG-1 notification message: Connection refused
systemd-journald[2238]: Failed to send WATCHDOG-1 notification message: Transport endpoint is not connected
systemd-journald[2238]: Failed to send WATCHDOG-1 notification message: Transport endpoint is not connected
systemd-journald[2238]: Failed to send WATCHDOG-1 notification message: Transport endpoint is not connected
systemd-journald[2238]: Failed to send WATCHDOG-1 notification message: Transport endpoint is not connected
systemd-journald[2238]: Failed to send WATCHDOG-1 notification message: Transport endpoint is not connected

---

But Xorg works on Ubuntu 10.04.4 (PowerPC 32-bit), openSUSE Tumbleweed 20190722 PPC64 and on Fedora 27 PPC64 with the latest Git kernel.

I bisected today [4].

Result: net/scm: Regularize compat handling of scm_detach_fds() (c0029de50982c1fb215330a5f9d433cec0cfd8cc) [5] is the first bad commit.

This commit has been merged with the seccomp updates v5.9-rc1 on 2020-08-04 14:11:08 -0700 [1]. Since these updates, Xorg doesn't start anymore on some Linux distributions.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to revert the first bad commit. The first bad commit depends on many other commits, which unfortunately I don't know. I tried to remove the modifications of the files from the first bad commit but without any success. There are just too many dependencies.

Additionally I compiled a linux-next kernel because of the issue with the lastest Git kernel. Unfortunately this kernel doesn't boot. It can't initialize the graphics card.

Could you please test Xorg with the latest Git kernel on some Linux distributions?

Thanks,
Christian

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=9ecc6ea491f0c0531ad81ef9466284df260b2227
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOne_X1000