Re: file metadata via fs API

From: Ian Kent
Date: Wed Aug 12 2020 - 23:45:12 EST

On Wed, 2020-08-12 at 12:50 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 12:34 PM Steven Whitehouse <
> swhiteho@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The point of this is to give us the ability to monitor mounts from
> > userspace.
>
> We haven't had that before, I don't see why it's suddenly such a big
> deal.

Because there's a trend occurring in user space where there are
frequent and persistent mount changes that cause high overhead.

I've seen the number of problems building up over the last few months
that are essentially the same problem that I wanted to resolve. And
that's related to side effects of autofs using a large number of
mounts.

The problems are real.

> The notification side I understand. Polling /proc files is not the
> answer.

Yep, that's one aspect, getting the information about a mount without
reading the entire mount table seems like the sensible thing to do to
allow for a more efficient notification mechanism.

> But the whole "let's design this crazy subsystem for it" seems way
> overkill. I don't see anybody caring that deeply.
>
> It really smells like "do it because we can, not because we must".
>
> Who the hell cares about monitoring mounts at a kHz frequencies? If
> this is for MIS use, you want a nice GUI and not wasting CPU time
> polling.

That part of the problem still remains.

The kernel sending a continuous stream of wake ups under load does
also introduce a resource problem but that's probably something to
handle in user space.